Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Yankee Homecoming 10 Miler

That's it. I'm done. No more racing for a while, till Hood to Coast in three weeks anyway. Despite the "heat emergency", I and 1000 other runners showed up for the summer classic Yankee Homecoming 10 Miler last night in beautiful Newburyport, Massachusetts. Must have been 100F, muggy, everyone was sweating just standing still.

I planned on taking it pretty easy as I haven't been handling hot weather running very well anyway, but I pretty much bonked at 6 miles, really awful slog for the last 2 miles, really wanted to stop and am glad just to have finished. An embarrassingly slow 1:15:00, 7:30 average pace — positive splits — first 5 at 7:00, second 5 at 8:00, ugh. (I ran a 7:17 pace 10.2 mile training run just a couple weeks ago!) It was partly the heat, but not totally. Lots of friendly townfolk out with the hoses, I stayed relatively not-so-hot and wet in fact, but I hadn't thought about the implications of my shoes getting so drenched — they must have weighed at least two pounds a piece with the water and all by mile 3, and I really started feeling it. Maybe I should have just taken them off and gone unshod. And it was after work, usually not a great time of day for me. And did I mention it was hot? My wife and kids think I am absolutely bonkers.

So there's my litany of little excuses. What I really have no excuse for is that fact that I just haven't been putting in enough long runs to expect any quality or consistency for a 10 mile race. It's been a little wreckless and lazy of me to be racing so much (7 races since June 3rd) without putting in the required training — my endurance past 7 miles is really lacking. Time to get back to work, forget the excitement of races, hit the road and recall the loneliness of the long distance runner.

(For the record, since last Saturday's 11.1 miler, just rest and then 50 minutes pretty hard on elliptical Monday, still nursing right shin, not much worse after this race, thank goodness.)

11 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Robin said...

what's wrong with your shin?

have fun with the Hood to Coast race

I did Reach the Beach last year -- fun stuff!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger David said...

Thanks. Dang shins have bothered me off and on since I started running in 1974! MTSS. At least it's familiar territory. A little insane but I'm also running Reach the Beach this year, three weeks after H2C.

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Embarrassingly slow? Are you kidding me? I wish I was that "slow". :) Sorry about the heat - hopefully HTC will be cooler for you.

FYI - I did appreciate running in cool weather today. In fact, I felt guilty broadcasting the temperature with so many of you sweltering.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger David said...

Sorry, I shouldn't have said 'embarrassingly' slow. But, you know, everyone has their own level of performance. My 5K PR, 18:09, which is awesome for me, and which I'm proud of, is embarrassingly slow for many others, including many in this running blogosphere. Thanks for your comments.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Perry said...

It's good to know that there are other runners who have a hard time keeping up with their training. Here's a list of excuses I made for not achieving a PR in a recent marathon.

Excuses of a marathoning joggler

Keep training. You inspire us all.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Paul said...

David,

I think you're right about the volume of racing you've done in the past two months. It's hard to hold a peak for that long.

I'm in Cape Cod for a week later this month, do you know any good loops in Orleans?

Paul

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Okolo said...

We need to stop being at the same races and not meeting.

I'll be at RTB also, on Robin's team, let's be sure to at least wave at some point.


Okolo

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger David said...

Yes Okolo, good point :-) I'll look for you at RTB.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger David said...

Paul, on the Cape I'm in Brewster and usual run along the Brew Run course. I also sometimes just run down the bike trail most of the way to Orleans and back, flat, decent shade, people to look at.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! My husband will also be running HTC. I think this will be his third year in a row - he runs R2P with us for fun, then runs HTC with a competitive team.

Hope your shin gets better and it cools down for you!

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's cool you race at your (high) level despite shin issues. I collect injuries and get down about it sometimes so it's nice to know they can be worked through :)

And you did race in what I believe were record highs for the area! At least it will suck less next time :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

f