Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Running Brave

Spent the weekend sopping wet in the rain at Cub Scout camp with the family. Not so bad as it sounds though. Back on Sunday, after a nap, ran 7.1 miles, bit of a slog, tired, shins starting to act up again, but not like before at least, not so localized, more like normal shin splints (MTSS), not too too worried, a little rest.

Two days off, back at it today, lunch, 6.7 miles, Longfellow-Charles-Smoots double loop, light rain, pretty nice, Garmin couldn't find its satellites, but 6:44 average pace overall. Pushing but not too much, not bad, humid, but not the oppressive variety of recent slogs. New shoes — Asics Cumulus — was really looking to get new Nike Skylons, but can't find 'em anywhere, these seem to be a decent approximation, responsive light-ish trainers.

So I should make it a goal to be running brave. So often lately I'm filled with fear, uncertainty, and doubt about my runs. Before and during. Fearing pain, uncertain about my abilities, doubting I can follow through. But more often than not, I end up following through, pain and all. I need to attack workouts more head on than I do now. Yeah, it's gonna be tough, but you've done it before, you can do it again, now, face it, head on, just do it. Todo.

5 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Blogger Mike said...

6:44 pace is a good clip when I look at your half marathon time, especially in soggy conditions. Are you talking about the new Nike Hayward (sp?)? Looks like a decent shoe.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger David said...

And I'm thinking, crap, I ran 13.1 miles at a 6:37 pace, 6.7 at 6:44 should feel *easy*, but it never does. Need to remind myself not to race through training runs. Nike Skylon is what I'm looking for, one of my favorites. The Hayward look like they might be interesting.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger SRR said...

I have similar doubts, however they hardly seem warrented (is that the word I want?)when I am such a slow poke compared to you!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger MB said...

Have you tried online for shoes? I use a place out of MD that has free shipping and an 1-800 number.

Feels like th humidity finally broke up here, what a relief!

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

f