Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Ride My Seesaw

Treadmill day, 6.5 miles, a mile warm-up and cool-down, 7:07 average pace for the middle 4.5. Started ok, but left hamstring started locking up a bit in mile 4, picked up the pace to 6:55 down to 6:20, to stretch it out a bit for the last mile or so, cut it short, was gonna do 5 miles at pace. Also felt like I was starting to bonk, not enough carbs this morning maybe.

But the first few miles were cruisin', listened to The Moody Blues tune Ride My Seesaw like three times in a row, more than a mile, in perfect rhythm with my stride rate, it's just about exactly 80 beats per minute, that was sweet - started falling apart when I up'd the pace from 7:15 to 7:00, my stride rate had to increase just enough to lose the rhythm.

I really need to slow down more though, according to McMillan my endurance pace should be 7:16 to 8:16, plus I'm at 1.5 incline which makes today's average pace 7:00. Anyway, up to 111 miles for the year so far; last year I didn't hit that until mid April.



So I gotta pick up the new Vonnegut book — A Man Without a Country, it looks good, said to be an angry/funny collection of essays. Nice quote:
"I am now eighty-two. Thanks a lot you dirty rats. The last thing I ever wanted was to be alive when the three most powerful people on the whole planet would be named Bush, Dick, and Colon."
M heard an interview with him on the radio the other day, said he said something interesting, in regards to religion, said he's absolutely positive something really amazing is going on, but he has no idea what. I've had the same feeling, that existence itself, is unimaginably bizarre and non-obvious, something truly amazing may be going on, bigger than religion, amazing indeed.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Mike Overall said...

Moody blues rock! Saw then live in Dallas about...8 years ago, give or take...was like their CD on a really spectacular sound system...awesome.

Keep up the good work!

Mike Overall

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger SwallowedAlive said...

Thanks for the info.
K.V. Is definitely one of my favorite authors.
Haven't read him in years and now you've put him in my path.
Thanks again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

f