Monday, September 11, 2006

Ankle

Phew. The right ankle, rolled in the Thompson Island 4K ten days ago, is, I think, okay. Now. Initially, I thought it was going to be fine right away, but it swelled up much more than expected the next day. I was supressing a freakout about Reach the Beach, just five days away now, worrying that I'd screwed that opportunity.

I was, unusually, wise and conservative, resting, icing like madman, elevation, nsaids, protein. Elliptical once after four days, 52 minutes, hard, then another four days rest, then today, the moment of truth, swelling down to *almost* nothing, ready to test it out.

So, 5.5 miles I ended up doing on treadmill, had no plan, just playing by ear. A surprisingly great run. The rest time yielded a springy energetic run, the ankle is *fine*! Like pretty much totally, didn't really need ACE bandage I gingerly administered. Still slightly fragile if I move it *just* right in the wrong direction, but fortunately, strangely, that direction is an unnatural position for running.

Five mile splits were like 7:22, 6:59, 6:49, 6:44, 6:24. Not bad at all. Thank Evolution. Maybe one more run, treadmill or road, before Reach the Beach.

Really dodged a bullet. I'm done with cross county courses (I rolled me left ankle, much much move severly, two years ago one mile into a Turkey Trot 5K in Newburyport, MA - foolishly finished, 21:28, up on my toe, making it much worse, idiot). Despite a fair amount of wobble board exercises which I do, my ankles may just not be suitable, or maybe I'm just unlucky, or maybe I'm just 47.

2 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. i had a fairly bad sprained ankle from earlier this summer from trail running. luckily, as you noticed, running can still be continued b/c it's straight ahead-even when turning the ankle this was and that can cause some pain. i took about 4 days off and i continued icing long after i started running again...it took about 3 months (probably b/c i was marathon training, long distances=hard on the ankle, and i am a clutzy/the ankle was weak so i would keep minorly rolling it. that was my main fear-that i would badly roll it again and it would be worse...) for it to be completely better, but i think it finally is! for a while i could still run but, as mentioned above, it would still hurt if i tried to rotate my ankle around when i was at rest.

i used to use ice water and stick my ankle in that so the cold could reach reach all of it more easily than an ice pack.

anyway, you sound very wise! take care.

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and I iced for maybe 1 month-not three as my other post might lead to believe...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

f