Friday, December 22, 2006

Holiday

Last day of work before a week off, which I'm really looking forward to. Work has not been a great source of satisfaction lately, just uninspired, in a slump, need to recharge.

Wednesday I ran 7.1 miles, first time since being sick, and it felt like it, pushing through though. Longfellow, Charles, Smoots double loop+. 7 miles @ 47:12 (6:45), splits: 6:30, 6:43, 6:37, 6:52, 7:17, 6:33, 6:39. Cold! Some tightness or tiredness in left hip, that's new. Right extensor tendonitis seems to be abating.

Meandered the local mall blankly at lunchtime today, vaguely trying to finish some Xmas shopping, feeling numb-ish, melancholy-ish, but not so very unpleasantly so really — mostly just the usual existential stupor through which I wander much of the time.

Existence just never seems to cease to amaze me, you'd think I'd just get used to it and take it for granted like everyone around me apparently does, but it just seems weirder all the time — the nuclear fireball we're falling around, the gas covered planet we're stuck to, humans — unimaginable gobs of protein and whatnot, constantly sucking in oxygen and nitrogen, swallowing carbon based gunk, and excreting all manner of waste. It's just not obvious, and I still can't entirely get my head around it.

And what's with every female of the species shopping at Victoria's Secret? I see all varieties of women, girls, ladies, old, young, fat, thin, pretty, ugly, carrying Victoria's Secret bags. I mean the thought of most of them wearing the garment's displayed so ubiquitously and brazenly by the famous models is, well ... nevermind, enjoy.

Oh, I came across a very funny and interesting interview with Stephen Colbert at Harvard University; as I inferred from his bit, he is actually a very intelligent, perceptive and thoughtful guy.

5 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get a week off, too, starting today! And I live in Boston.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give the ladies shopping at VS a break - at least they are trying, right? ;)

I find your thoughts on existence interesting. I believe we are all here for a reason. We all have a purpose, it's just a matter of finding it. Good luck with your quest.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger robkroese said...

Happy holidays, David!

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Rhea said...

Victoria's Secret ... sigh. Marketing is a strong aphrodisiac. One of my New Year's resolutions is not to buy any clothes. I have a whole closetful already. Btw, you are a hare. I envy your speed.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Rachael said...

Been meaning to get back to you for weeks now since reading this, but it's just been too difficult to write anything from Russia!

Loved the bit of existential wooziness (if you don't mind the term) in this post. If I'm reading you correctly, it's not quite like the wonder expressed in your last post - even while wonder is a part of it. Sometimes, you just have to sit in the face of what you've learned - and feel so very small and wobbly. ;) Vertigo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

f